I was never one to feel restless or antsy by staying in one place for too long.
I think I'm a little vanilla, in that sense. I enjoy routine. I appreciate predictability.
I like staying at home.
And yet, after a series of unexpected events... here I am, about to embark on a sorta-kinda-ish spontaneous journey to Manila.. where I will be residing for the next 2 or 3 months. Or so.
A new home, albeit temporarily.
I haven't lived in Manila since I was 13. I spent two years going to Brent International School, before moving back to San Ramon, California with my mom and sister in 2007.
I would be lying if I said I wasn't terrified. I've been searching my mind for WHY I'm so anxious for this big move - but I can't pinpoint why. In all likelihood, moving back home is going to be exciting and fun. I haven't lived in the same roof as my little sister in years. Why am I so nervous?!
Despite how exciting living in Asia will be, I think I'm going to be a little homesick for Arizona. And I'm going to miss the routine I've built here.
It's not a forever goodbye - I'll be back - I just need to put on my big girl pants. Kind of like how I moved across the country to attend Boston University. Except now, I'll be moving across the entire planet.
THINGS I AM EXCITED FOR WHEN I MOVE TO MANILA ON OCTOBER 17:
- My family, obviously. 90% of my extended family lives in Manila too, so that'll be great.
- Awesome food. ESPECIALLY compared to the drab foodie community of Arizona. My Instagram is going to be flourishing, LOL.
- Cheaper cost of living.
- I can reap the benefits of living with a parent, i.e. FREE DINNER!!!! Thanks mom.
- I would love to reconnect with old middle school friends from my Brent days.
- I'll have time to tour the beautiful beaches and cities of the Philippines: Palawan, Boracay, Cebu, Davao, Baguio, etc.
Adventure is good. I must not fear jumping out of my comfort zone. In the wise words of some probably drunk freshman biddie stumbling down Commonwealth Avenue.... YOLO.
Manila, I'm coming for you.